BEng (Hons) Civil Engineering (International)
Civil engineers are a part of our everyday lives. The entire infrastructure of our environment has been influenced by them, from bridges and buildings to utilities and transport; there is no escaping our reliance on their knowledge and skills.
You will gain a wide range of knowledge and skills and also a concern for the environment and its resources and for public health and safety.
With an excellent reputation and strong links with industry this course will put you in good stead to become a successful professional civil engineer.
Each year of this course each contains six modules. Alongside five of these modules you will complete an integrated design exercise which blends the learning and skills from each module to the application of a client brief. One module in the final year is dedicated to your individual project.
You can opt to take an industrial placement year, which you arrange with our support, in between your second and third year of your course. This has a number of benefits: you will improve your employment prospects after graduation, you get to see the engineering theory you have learned in action, they are often paid positions, and many of our industrial placement students ultimately improve their degree classification over their second year results to receive top class degrees. Successful completion of an industrial placement year will add ‘with Professional Experience’ to your degree title
PROGRAMME Undergraduate Degrees
DURATION 4 years
YEAR 1 - Foundation Year
The Foundation Year has been designed to bridge the gap between High School and effective Honours Degree Study. The modules focus on the development of key skills, including studying independently and collaboratively, critical thinking, academic and professional writing and quantitative techniques. A key focus of the Foundation Year is a collaborative project, where students will work together to develop solutions to real-world problems. Modules include:
• Critical Reflection and Thinking
• Human Rights
• Arabic for Business (Arabic Speakers) / Critical Reading (Non Arabic Speakers)
• Multi-disciplinary Project
• Built Environment and Professional Practice
• Applied Mathematics
• The Modern History of Bahrain
• Civil Engineering Mathematics 1
• Civil Engineering Materials and Geology
• Structures E1
• Civil Engineering Construction
• Civil Engineering Surveying
• Civil Engineering Communication
- Civil Engineering Mathematics 2
- Soil Mechanics E2
- Structures E2
- Design Construction and Management
- Highway Design and Analysis
- Fluid Mechanics E2
• Individual Project
• Geotechnical Engineering E3
• Structures E3
• Finite Element Analysis with Seismic Engineering
• Case Studies in Environmental Engineering
• Water Resources E3
Please note, exact modules may vary in order to keep content current. Your tutor will be able to advise you as to the modules you will study on or before the start of the programme.
• Statement of Graduation (Secondary School General Certificate)
• High School Diploma with an overall average of 75% over the last three years of high school (years 10, 11 and 12)
• IELTS Academic Test Score of 5.5 minimum, with a minimum of 5.0 in each component
For Direct Entry
6.0 with no element below 5.5 or equivalent.
104-112 UCAS points, to include a grade C in Mathematics and a numerate science. A pass in the practical element of Science A-Levels must be achieved.
BTEC National Diploma:
DMM in Engineering. Must include Distinctions in Mathematics modules.
30 points to include grade 5 in Higher Level Mathematics and Physics
We are looking for students who have a keen desire to follow a career in civil or architectural engineering. Due to the close industrial links of this course good interpersonal skills and a strong work ethic are desirable. You should have a good understanding of linking theory to real life applications and an attention to detail.